The three primary concerns of new solo travelers are safety, eating alone and loneliness.
But those of us who travel solo know that, if you want your travel social, solo travel can deliver.
Solo travel offers more opportunities to meet locals and other travelers, and have meaningful conversations than traveling with a companion. Think about it. Rather than being focused on your companion you’re focused on your surroundings. You’re open to the world. And I’ve found that people step into the space you’ve created resulting in wonderful experiences.
I’ve met people and shared a conversation, sometimes it’s been a meal and other times a week or more on the road. I’ve spent time with locals getting to know their cultures and with other travelers with whom I not only explored our current destination but learned about their home country as well.
There are ways to plan your trip to be social. Here are a few:
10 Tips to Travel Solo and Social
- Choose your accommodation wisely. Hostels and B&Bs are naturally more social than hotels or many resorts.
- Consider traveling by train. The dining and observation cars are great places to meet people
- Take advantage of local tour guides. Read 8 Ways to Find a Free Local Tour Guide.
- Learn how to talk to strangers. Read Travel Solo and, Yes, Talk to Strangers.
- Take a class. If you’re in one place for a while, plan to take language or cooking classes. Whatever interests you. How to Find Classes when Traveling Solo – 10 tips
- Break up long trips with an organized tour. You’ll enjoy the company and a chance to let someone else take care of all the details.
- Go to restaurants with communal tables. Read this Dining Solo Post for info on how to find them.
- Go to coffee shops that are the hubs for freelancers. These are social places that also offer free wifi to stay connected with home. Read: Finding the Freelance Hub
- Go local again and again. When you are in one place for a while, go to the same green grocers, flower shop or restaurant consistently. You’ll be noticed as a new regular and people will eventually chat with you.
- Take advantage of the night life. Read: 10 Tips on Clubbing and Pubbing Solo.