When your holiday hits the rocks –
Or, the crash of the Navimag

bow of navimag ferry

The bow of the ship hit the island first.

I stuffed my passport inside my clothes and thought, if worse comes to worse, when they find my body they’ll know who it is.

Really. That’s what I thought as I quickly put on my warmest clothes and rain gear, grabbed my life jacket from under the mattress and hurried to the top deck of the ferry. And I wasn’t alone. The next day I talked to a number of people who had similar thoughts.

The Navimag Ferry hits a ???.
It was 3am on January 31st, 2011, the last night of our Navimag sailing between Puerto Montt and Puerto Natales. The “last night” party had more or less wrapped up and most of us were in our bunks. Something had woken me about 10 minutes earlier and I was just lying there, waiting for more sleep, when the ship hit for the first time. It was a massive jolt as the huge vessel traveling at 10+ knots hit something. It hit hard! The something was immovable! The shock was so strong that it felt like it was right beside me. Then a series of shuddering type hits and another large one.

People with life jackets on

Apologies for the blurriness of the photo but I was listening to what was being said and just snapping photos as I could.

After the Navimag crash

People just couldn't go to bed after such an event. People were concerned and had to process what happened.

navimag crash meeting

People waiting for answers at the briefing the morning after the crash.

Chilean Maritime Authority Ship

The Chilean Maritime Authority arrived to assess the situation.

Solo Traveler on the Navimag

The trip on the Navimag was spectacular and perfect for solo travelers.

It all happened very quickly and I was already out of bed and in a semi-panic asking “what’s happening?” before the last hit. Maude-Ann, the nurse in the other lower bunk put on her calm, nurse’s demeanor and assured me that everything was alright. Then the voice came over the loud speaker advising us to stay in our cabins as they checked the ship.

But less than a minute later the voice came on again. This time we were told to put on our life jackets and go to the meeting place on the top deck. There were meeting places on every level – why would they send all 200 of us to the top which was the smallest?

In our tiny cabin the four of us scrambled into bad weather gear while I translated the announcement for our French cabin-mate.

There was confusion. We had no idea what had happened. We hit something. What had we hit? Were we going to be in life rafts in the middle of the ocean in the middle of the night? But there was also focus. What did we need? My day pack had everything. But my passport was most important and I stuffed that into my clothing.

A collective sigh of relief.
Despite the gravity of the situation, people acted calmly and efficiently. The crew did their job well. It wasn’t long after we were on the top deck that we learned that we would not be evacuated and we could go back to bed.

Yes, there was relief. But bed? How could we sleep with the adrenalin that was rushing through our bodies. Most of us went to the cafeteria and deconstructed the incident. We were totally confused. What about the safety equipment? Who was responsible? What did we hit? People talked of iceburgs, rocks, and then…

An island.
The first person I heard it from was a truck driver who had been sleeping in his truck and was thrown out of bed by the crash. We had hit an island. I confess that I didn’t really believe him. An island? How can a boat that has taken this course hundreds of times hit an island?

Yet, the next morning after a restless night of listening and analyzing  every sound the ship made, we learned that it was indeed an island.

And, because it was an island, there was a big divide in the passengers. There were those who had not been scared by the episode and those of us who had been terrified. Those on the island side of the ship new that we were a few meters from land. The rest of us could see nothing but ocean.

Disembarking 20 hours late.
The next morning we received a brief statement from the ship’s Captain followed by a more in-depth briefing. Yes, the ship had hit an island. It had lost the use of an engine and would be continuing on with just the one at a rate of about 7 knots. The marine authorities would be arriving to assess the situation that day.

People had all sorts of questions but most understood that an explanation as to what happened could not be given until an investigation had been completed. The focus of the discussion was on logistics. What about hotel/hostel reservations? Could we stay the night on the boat? Would there be meals?

In the end we arrived in Peurto Natales about 14 hours late. Because it was midnight, we disembarked 22 hours late. But, as was said in the briefing: “the good news is that we are not on lifeboats”.

The Rumors/Truths?.
Because we couldn’t get the full story in the briefing, bits and pieces of fact and fiction were shared over the course of the next couple of days. Yes, the next couple of days for, as we hiked Torres del Paine (another post next week), we met many ship mates along the way. I include these rumor/truths for those who were on the ship. I stress that none of this is confirmed but I have only included points from people who I consider to be reliable:

  • The two who were on the bridge at the time of the incident were drug and alcohol tested and put in quarantine.
  • They found a large quantity of water on first inspection of the ship then realized that it was fresh water so didn’t consider us in danger.
  • The captain had thought of putting us on the island but then decided that this wasn’t necessary.
  • There was a hole in the ship just below the cargo deck. If it had been 60cm higher we would have been in trouble.
  • The hole was big enough to drive a small car through but the Captain dealt with it quickly. (This seems crazy but it was only 2nd hand (not third or more) and my source was good.)
  • The First Captain was fired.
  • The Captain was credited with handling the situation very well.

As of the writing of this post, a Google search produces nothing official on this event nor are there details on the Navimag and Maritime Authority sites. The Navimag site says that ferries have been canceled due to a “force-majeure” – a carefully selected term. The Chilean Maritime Authority site produces nothing for a search on Navimag.

There were a number of things I found interesting about the incident:

  1. After a moment of panic, people truly were calm as they handled what most thought was a crisis.
  2. The crew managed the situation well.
  3. Most people seemed concerned for the crew and the impact that this would have on their livelihood.
  4. I heard no one mention compensation for the delay or anything else.
  5. Most people rolled with the situation well.

Oh, and despite everything, I would highly recommend the Navimag experience for solo travelers. I’ll write about the more normal aspects of taking the Navimag in a couple of weeks.

Anyone who was on the Navimag for this sailing may want to join the Navimag Survivors group on Facebook.

  • http://solotravelerblog.com Janice Waugh

    Wow. That’s incredible. Thanks for sharing. People need to know.

  • JustPassingBy

    Were you on Amadeo? It sank a few months ago, in August, in Paso Kirke. It hit a rock; judging by your blog, that wasn’t the first time… We spoke to one of the survivors of that accident when we took our Navimag trip a few weeks ago. Apparently it was a very dangerous situation, the ship was damaged along most of its length, and it started to list within minutes. The captain drove the ship up a beach to keep it from sinking. They now use a different ship, and they don’t go through Paso Kirke anymore, because Amadeo is lying on its side, blocking the way, and leaking oil. Sad.

  • Whomever

    Was this the Amadeo ship? If so, it now lies at Paso Kirke, and its Navimag days are over…

  • Swetha Reddy

    Bargain Online for the best hotels at MyDeals247.com.
    For more please watch the video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWigWICKsII

  • Pingback: The Ferry Edén | Macfarlanes At Large()

  • solotraveler

    Hi, thanks so much for continuing the story. I didn’t know that they put a smaller boat in the water while waiting for the Navimag to be fixed. I hope you had a great time in Patagonia. There are lots of posts on the area on the blog. Just use the search box in the upper right to find them.

  • Bonmatib

    Hi! We were on the Navimag AFTER the one that crashed (we boarded on Feb 14, 2011). At the time, the accounts of the incident were sketchy but, having met with people who’d met people who were on the boat, we were able to reconstruct the events. But this is the first time I read an account of the story from someone who was actually there! The crew certainly showed professionalism. For us, as your boat was in repair at PN, we were put on a much smaller boat they had recalled from the junkyard and repainted it quickly. We had a few hic-ups also: we lost one engine just before entering the Pacific ocean and so arrived at Puerto Montt 24h later than scheduled. But despite all that, I would also recommend the trip with Navimag. Because it’s an adventure, the crew was indeed professional and the life on board is outstanding (you’ll make life long friends)

  • solotraveler

    I agree. That question remains: how close were we to disaster?

    I still recommend this trip. I think the crash was a one-time situation. The crew certainly acted appropriately.

    Because I care about the crew, I won”t give my sources but it seemed that we were lucky with location of the hit on the boat.

  • Tony Bum

    Hi Janice, thank you for your very good report, I fully agree. I distributed it to my friends here in Vienna. Alain is right, I made the same photos. We were among the lucky ones, as when looking out immediately after the crash, I saw green bushes, about 3 to 5 meters away. On your top photo my wife Sylivie is second and I am first from right, thank you for that documentation. At the end everything went fine – fortunately. One question remains unanswered: how close were we to a desaster? Tony

  • solotraveler

    Hi Alain, Thanks for your comment. The note about the hole is under the subhead of “Rumors”. With no official statements, I couldn’t confirm things. I didn’t see a large gaping hole either but I was told of one from a reliable source. I hope that the ultimate message of this post is clear. Despite how frightening this situation was, the crew managed it well and it does not detract from my overall enjoyment of the Navimag experience. In fact, I recommend it.

  • alain

    I (as others) took pictures of the ferry before (at P°E) and after (P°N) there are 3 different hit marks but no large hole visible. Please crosscheck.

  • http://travelthroughhistory.blogspot.com Ruth Kozak

    Good story with informative advice in case it ever happens to you. You never know if you ride ferries or cruise ships. Look what happened in greece a couple of years ago when that ferry hit the rocks off Paros.

  • http://www.pelo-mundo.com Mari Campos

    Wow, this was REALLY an adventure! Fortunately everything went fine in the end 😀

  • http://solofriendly.com Gray

    Scary. I’m glad everything turned out okay. It is a little disturbing, though, that there hasn’t been more transparency about exactly what happened from those in charge.

  • Pingback: Tweets that mention When your holiday hits the rocks – Or, the crash of the Navimag | Solo Traveler -- Topsy.com()