What to do in the evenings is often a challenge for Solo Travelers. Nightlife can be intimidating but my experience says that it needn’t be. Here are some tips to help you slip into the bar, restaurant or festival scene, solo.
Great choices for an evening out.
- Bar with live music.
- Festival whether it be cultural, food, music…
- Pub where the locals hang out.
- Restaurants with communal tables.
- The theater, opera, symphony, ballet.
How to find the right place.
I start looking for the right place for the evening before I get into town by reading recommendations on blogs and guides. But I don’t assume that I’ve found it. I think that more than half the time I change my mind after talking to a taxi driver, bartender or server in a restaurant. In other words, I find the best places by talking to locals.
Go and be safe.
Here are a few tips to go out in the evening and be safe:
- Arrive early.
- Don’t carry a purse – leave most valuables in a safe at your hotel or hostel.
- Take a seat at the bar or other location where you have a good view of the room.
- Be friendly with your server – they’ll watch out for you.
- Notice the exits.
- Don’t drink too much.
- Watch the vibe of the room as people arrive. If you’re not comfortable, leave.
- Be cautious of people who choose to talk with you. It’s usually better to choose people yourself.
- Go home by taxi.
A great time out in Florida.
When I went to Florida last year, I went to Orlando Brewing. I wasn’t really alone on this occasion as I met up with another travel blogger, Rachelle Lucas of Inn the Kitchen. I have tested all the tips above on other trips but I want to tell you about this one because it is a great evening destination for solo travelers. Here’s how to do it:
- Take a taxi – Orlando Brewing is in an industrial area and you will be nervous driving there yourself. Transit is not really an option.
- Go on a Friday night as they have a free brewery tour between 4 and 6pm.
- Alternatively, go on a Sunday afternoon and participate in their Orlando Brewing Choir.
- Order a flight and taste a variety of their fabulous beers.
- Study the faces that are on some of their beer labels. You may be able to meet one of the characters behind the faces while you’re there.
- Chat with the people. It’s a very friendly environment.