Solo Travel Safety: 10 ways to look confident.
“I’m a big believer that safety is an inside job. The safer you feel about yourself inside yourself, the safer you’ll find the outside world. Now that doesn’t mean that I flaunt common sense either at home or abroad, but it also means that I know my self confidence and self assurance makes me much more likely to be the one a hustler or scammer passes by.”
This makes perfect sense to me. The con artist – as I’ll explain in a story coming in April – and other undesirables, seek the weak and naive. Confidence is a traveler’s armor.
But what if you’re not really that confident or what if you’re generally confident but in a situation that makes you very nervous. Sometimes, you need to fake it till you make. So I did a bit of research and give you 10 ways to solo travel safely by looking confident:
- Hold your head up.
- Stand tall. Lift your torso up as though stretching your spine.
- Pull your shoulders slightly back so that they widen.
- Look alert and aware. Don’t be distracted by a cell phone or book when you need to look confident.
- Walk with determination making it clear that you know where you’re going.
- Swing your arms.
- Walk looking side to side as well as in front of you so that you look very aware of your surroundings.
- When standing still, stand with your feet apart (as much as 12 inches) and your weight evenly distributed.
- Make eye contact, briefly, with those around you.
- And, this is probably the most difficult point, do all of the above as though it is natural.
Do you have some suggestions?